started my project

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits started my project

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    crash55
    Participant

@crash55

well I got started on my rewiring my migi today. all the wires from the seat forward are out. what a rats nest! no wonder he gave up on it. I have a wiring harness from EZ wiring 12 circuit with 2 relays & mini fuses. It is for a front engine car so I had to take the engine & charging related wires rearward. not that bad each wire has what circuit printed on the wire. vw autostick register helped me out with a schematic for the auto stick related wiring. new headlights from speedway motors are on. I will take some pics tomorrow & try to post. I looking forward to driving it to carlisle this spring.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Crash, It’d be great to see you there in May.  Please check in to the Carlisle 2013 thread so we can get an early head count.  

Rick
    Participant

@rockyx

Been there….still doing that.  Good luck

Anonymous
    Inactive

Re wiring my fiberfab as it had electrical short. Short was on passenger’s side in bodywork. Had melted some wires hidden in tunnel from rear. currently making new harness and making new dash for larger speedometer and tach. Check wiring diagram in manual section and also SAMBA VW. One wire and one circuit at a time. Mark wires with id and make wiring diagram with color code.

Welcome to the fun and learning of owning a kit car.
    newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

George,

I was with a club member this weekend and he is rewiring his TD. The wires are a mess and the PO wired EVERYTHING with RED wire. He’s got a job on his hands.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

Anonymous
    Inactive

My wires were malso all red. Must have been a sale on red wire.

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

I got my harness for 150 bucks & the only thing I saw was it was for a front engine set-up but every wire has what circuit it is printed on the wire & is color coded. it might be a little tedious, but I will get through it

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

sorry I forgot I mentioned most that in my 1st thread

billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Aren’t all the important wires red?
    Aren’t ALL the circuits important?

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Bill you ask if all circuits are important. Yes…especially the circuit that’s keeping my mini beer cooler running.

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

well I got all but the brake wires ahead of the windshield in. put the dash back on because I forgot to measure how much  I wanted to shorten the steering colum.  I promise to post pics tomorrow. I am going with all stewart warner gauges. so far I have oil temp, electric speedo, mech. oil press and ammeter. I will use the idiot light for trans temp. ( it is a autostick). I’m not worried about a beer cooler,because I’m on a weight kick ( a shot of CC is only 69 calories a beer is140 twice the kick less filling lol) I surfed speedway motors today & I can get the fender mirrors for only 40 bucks & their 32 ford hood hold downs look like the same I need for only 20. I think I’m gonna give them more money than mg magic. see ya tomorrow

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Fender mirrors have a pretty limited field of vision. So…

I mounted convex mirrors on both fenders. A big improvement.
    I highly recommend it if you can get them.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

well no pics yet. more stuff to fix. I love projects,pulled the seat box & rug up to remove the rear wires. I found that the floor pan is turning to swiss cheese !! So now I must make this right thank god I spun a wrench for 25+ years lol no tools to buy. also I get to use a few tools I haven’t used in years. looks like I’m gonna pull the body off& go frame up. oh well at least I got 6 months to finish it is going to be warm here in sw pa this week a couple of hours each night & weekends & she will beas good as new. maybe I’ll make the wife take pics.

crash55
    Participant

@crash55

only 8 bolts left to undo & the body will come off. time to buy the floor pans

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.