TDKid – Introduction to myself and Heather

Home Forums Site Membership TDKid – Introduction to myself and Heather

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    James
    Participant

@tdkid

Hello Everyone! My name is James, I’m out of Whitby, Ontario and I have purchased my first car just this last week, a 1986 BCM TD! (I am presuming the manufacturer and year, I’m hoping some expert eyes can shed some light on this car for me)

Little bit about myself:
    I’m 21 years old, current student in funeral services, and have saved up some play money for a car. I’m somewhat mechanically inclined, and chose this car not only because I have always wanted a country cruiser, but this particular car, having a VW base, is the perfect bare bones car to work on, in my opinion. I also live down the street from Owasco vw.
    Enough about me! Here’s a little history (What I know so far) about Heather:
    Won as a prize to a lottery in the 80’s by a woman, who sold it outright to the previous owner who was out of Tillsonburg, Ontario. From the general condition of the car, it is obvious he drove it somewhat frequently. Minor to moderate surface rust over most of the undercarriage, and a horribly jerry-rigged radio. I cannot even bring myself to post a picture from under the dash, unless someone requests it.
    In 2004 the engine was completely rebuilt, so naturally the engine runs quite well. The same year the owner passed, and his son until recently, stored in in his garage, driving it occasionally in the warm months. It has just about 500 KM on the odo since the rebuild. 
    I discovered this site not too long ago, and hope to get some help on my car, and maybe return the favour. 
    I have some pictures here, if anyone would like to request specific photos, more information about the car, or myself, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you in advance 🙂
    Please excuse the mess!
    SN: 2CSP000000000259
    Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

Very nice!  Welcome aboard!

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

Rosebud and Bill
    Participant

@rosebud-and-bill

Welcome aboard,

Looks like a good start, in better shape than when I first got Rosebud.
    Bill

Bad Bill

T. J. Marrone
    Participant

@tjmarrone

Welcome, you will get a lot of help here.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Welcome aboard.  We all have discovered surprises about our cars from the others on this site. 

It seems you are not sure of manufacturer.  You suggested that it was a BCM.   I assume that you typo-ed a BCW.  Except that the parking lamps, hood hinge arrangement and the headlight brackets do not look like BCW.  My guess is that it is a Fiberfab.  It matters little.  It’s yours now, enjoy.  We’ve got a ton of Fiberfabs here on the TDreplica site. 

Here’s another guess:  That serial number was made up by a prior owner trying to satisfy the DMV of whatever state he was trying to register it in.  I don’t think that it will prove very useful trying to identify parts.  Your best bet would probably be to take a lot of really good pictures and post them.  Someone here will be able to tell you what you have. 

Welcome to the fun.  Join in. 

edward ericson
    Participant

@edsnova

Good to meet you, James. You’re in for some fun now. 

Rosebud and Bill
    Participant

@rosebud-and-bill

I agree with Roy, looks like my Fibergab front end, see pic below.

Bill

Bad Bill

Toller
    Participant

@toller

James
    I am up the road from you in Port Perry. I have a 82 FiberFab built on a 68 Type 1 frame with a 72 1600 engine. Have been working all winter on doing some restoration work so it will be available for the meet on Reach and the two shows in town this summer   Send me a PM if you want to meet to compare TDRs. Pics of car are posted in member’s section but it is essentially a twin to Rosebud

Don’t think you will find Owasco much help, at least I didn’t. Sources for VW parts for 30 year old TDRs in Canada are pretty limited in comparison to what our fraternity brothers have access to in the US   I deal almost exclusively with Cip1 in BC although there is a air cooled VW shop in Welland but their on line inventory is no where as extensive as Cip1   Have made limited purchases from US due to exchange rate, duty and shipping costs but sometimes have no choice if offerings are not available in Canada Toller2016-04-09 23:09:34

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

secretagentcat
    Participant

@secretagentcat

Welcome James
    Heather is a real looker, enjoy the ride and greetings from California!
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Welcome…you’re just in time for the warmer weather.????????

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

greg press
    Participant

@greg-press

Hi James welcome! I live 1 hr south of Buffalo Ny . There are a few owners around us . Have fun !

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

Welcome to our group!
    Looks like you have a very nice car.
    If you have any questions about it, this is the place to find the answers!
    Post more pics when you can!
    Have fun with your car!

Amor Conquista Todo

newkitman
    Participant

@newkitman

Welcome aboard James. You will have a great time in our group. I have a CMC/Fiberfab and except for the parking lights on the front its a dead ringer for “Moneypenny.” If you look on the left you will see a Reference Library tab. If you go there you will get to see the different assembly manuals and may see yours there. Have fun and enjoy driving Heather. Thumbs Up

Allen Caron
    VW based 53MGTD - "MoneyPenny"
    "If one thing matters, everything matters" - from the book The Shack

James
    Participant

@tdkid

WOW! I have got to say I did not expect so many responses. Thank you all for the kind word.

Royal, thanks for the correction, I did mean BCW.
    As far as pictures go, I’ll take some more detailed ones soon. should I continue to upload them to this thread? 
    To add a bit about the car, she has a lot of work to be done. aside from the paint needed to be redone, the roof is somewhat in ruin, along with the upholstery, the dash needs to be refinished, and all of the rubber seals along the lights and body panels will need to be replaced. 
    I was wondering, does anyone here know where I can find the assorted sizes of rubber trim? 
    In addition, I will be working with a friend next weekend on the brakes, and will hopefully have her shoes back on to have her towed to a few shops to get estimates on her certification. As previously stated, her engine is tops, however there is a short in her headlights, and the emergency brake is not hooked up, nor do I believe it has ever been!
    I will be posting the more detailed pictures if not tonight, then sometime tomorrow.
    Well, I’m of to try and make sense of her hideous wiring!
    Cheers, everyone. 
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

James, are you sure that it needs repainting?  Most of our cars were gel coat from the factory.  Gel coat can, with a bit of time and elbow grease, usually be brought back to a nice shine.  Also, you really don’t want to work on the “rubber seals” (it’s called welting) along the body panels until you figure out your painting or gel coat restoration. 

James
    Participant

@tdkid

Yes, it has quite a few deep chips and scratches, especially on the front fenders, and some small chips on the hood as well, not easily seen in the pictures I posted. Besides, I think red is a bit too flashy for Heather, and myself, frankly.

And I will not be touching the welting (Thank you for the correction) for a while, it is just something I have noted. 
    For those interested, I will be posting the more detailed pictures here tomorrow, along with some close ups of the problem areas on the paint!
    billnparts
    Participant

@billnparts

Look at the photos in “Gone and Done It” a post of mine from a few years ago. I took mine apart and painted it. It had gone through a couple accidents. The gel coat was restorable.

Bill Ascheman
    Fiberfab Ford
    Modified 5.0, 5sp., 4:11
    Autocross & Hillclimb
    "Drive Happy"

scubasteve
    Participant

@scubasteve

I was told by a local mechanic my LR would probably need a new paint job.
    After watching some programs on the Velocity channel that they were able to buff out the surface oxidation, I thought I’d try it myself.
    I purchased a random orbital from an auto store and some highly recommended buffing compound, took a DEEP breath and hit the power button.
    I remembered what the programs stressed over and over; BE CAREFUL! A little at a time with a very light touch…At first I didn’t think I was going any where. BUT…
    After LOTS of time I was happy to see a nice shiny finish…

Amor Conquista Todo

James
    Participant

@tdkid

Good almost evening everyone! Here are the pictures I promised. If there is anything specific you would like me to take a photo of, just ask. 

I have a quick inquiry for all of you. Do any of you have a copy of the fiberfab electrical schematics? As I said before I am in the process of removing the dash to redo the electrics, it would be a big help!
    Rear left assembly
    A peak in to the horrors under the dash
    Steering assembly
    Front right assembly
    Front right assembly
    f
    Could anyone tell me what this button is supposed to do??
    An example of some of the few scratches and wear on the paint.
    Royal
    Participant

@royal

James, it’s not that bad. In fact, probably better than mine when I bought it. Take the radio out and throw it away. The switch on the floor is likely either a step to start switch or a headlight dimmer. Looks like you have an electronic voltage regulator (?) under the old Bosch which is disconnected (?). Looks like a dual port engine – that’s good. and a SVDA or SVSA distributor – also good. I don’t SEE anything that would cause concern. Check the brakes, clean ‘er up and enjoy the summer.  You will want to change some things, but my advice is to keep it to an absolute bare minimum until you have driven it for a few hundred miles. 

Toller
    Participant

@toller

James
    Send me your email via a PM and I will send you the FF schematic as well as one I created using additional fuses and relays to take the load off the switches

David B Dixon
    Port Perry ON CA
    Sabine

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Hello James,

Over there on the left is a link to Reference Library. On the resulting page, you’ll see FiberFab’s manuals at the top of the left column. One of the manuals is the Wiring Harness; that document includes rudimentary schematics.

To Toller…if what you have is better, would you please send a PDF of your file to me at pmossberg at verizon.net. We’ll get that added to the library.

Also…the Classic Roadster’s Ltd. Duchess schematics are excellent, although they may not match up directly with an FF. They are in our library also.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Rich Kallenberger
    Participant

@kall

As an aside seeing that dash wired in only one or two colors took me back to a previous career as an electronic tech. We serviced one piece of aftermarket equipment which was totally wired with identical pieces of green wire. A call to service that equipment brought grown men to tears and triggered a blue flu epidemic every time.
    The lesson: wiring comes in multiple colors and gauges for a reason other than fashion.   

Vicenç Feliú
    Keymaster

@sabreur76

I think the monochromatic wiring must be a FiberFab thing.  All my wires are blue.  Drives my mechanic crazy.

Vicenç - (bee sense)
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    1986 Aston - BCW Model 52 - "Montse II"

(1983 FiberFab MiGi II - "Montse")

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Vicenc, that’s the best reason for using a shop. 

Before I quit (out of respect for the game), I would say “that’s not a drive, it’s a short put”.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.