The Red Car

Home Forums General Discussion The Red Car

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Dick
    Participant

@dickh

Just finished Stanford’s “The Red Car.” Enjoyed it, but not something I’ll add to my library. If anyone wants it, I’ll drop it in the mail. First come, etc.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Somebody grab this!

It’s a GREAT story!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

I’ll take it, then forward it on again.

Dick
    Participant

@dickh

mrimd, 

Sorry, but I sent it to Royal.  I’ll ask him to send it on to you. You can send him a private message with your mailing address.  It is a fun read.
    KentT
    Participant

@kentt

I read it in the mid 1960’s when I was in Junior High…

It certainly made a lasting impression on me — though I’ve only owned a couple MGs over the years.  They were simply too unreliable for use as daily drivers.

Early FF TDr on 69 VW pan
    Slowly coming back from the ashes...

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Dick, Got The Red Car about 5pm today (we get mail very late).  Will forward on to mrimd when done. If any of you want to read it, send a PM to mrimd.  

Thanks,

Roy
    Dick
    Participant

@dickh

Roy,
    Thanks. The ready help and things like this are what I like about this group.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Marc, The Red Car is a thoroughly enjoyable quick read.  It kinda describes my youth and it’s on its way to you.  

Thanks again Dick.  
    Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

This is so cool

You guys should all be signing and dating the book as you read it and pass it along!

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

I got The Red Car in the mail today, Thank you very much Roy. Just in time for my birthday.
    I will gladly forward it to whoever wants to read it next, just either post your name/address up here or sent me a PM.

DonsMG
    Participant

@donsmg

Marc, Just sent you a PM. Hope to be the next to read.

Don Loveless
    Ford Pinto Fiberfab
    Rochester, MI

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Don- you got it, it’ll come soon. I just got it and I read through 1/2 of it already which is a milestone for me.
    Paul, you’re right, we should have all signed and dated it but now it would have to be sent back to the 2 previous members on here before me.

Dick
    Participant

@dickh

Just add my name and date on the front fly leaf: Dick Herman, Feb 2013

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

Will do, will also add Roy’s, then mine before I forward it to Don.

Royal
    Participant

@royal

Sure, do it.  Roy Hendrix, Mar 2013

Marc Lipsius
    Participant

@mrlmd

OK. now it’s on it’s way to Don.
    Anyone else wants to read it, PM him to get it next, and write your name in the book with the others.
    It’s a quick read. enjoyable, a little informative or instructional, maybe good for your spouse or S.O. to read too, to give her an idea of what this is all about and maybe teach her how an engine works.    

Royal
    Participant

@royal

The author seems to think that the TC was a “better” car than a TD.  I’ve driven TC, TD & TF and wondered where he got that idea from.  I disagree with him on this point, but it really doesn’t matter. A fun book.  

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Royal wrote:
    The author seems to think that the TC was a “better” car than a TD.  I’ve driven TC, TD & TF and wondered where he got that idea from.  I disagree with him on this point, but it really doesn’t matter. A fun book.  

I agree, Roy, from what I recall of my reading the book long ago.

IMO, the TD Mark II might be best of those models overall.  Mechanically, it was essentially the same as the TF, as I recall while retaining the more classic front fenders, grille and headlight mounting.  The TFs look good, but different… and I think the resulting drop in sales of that model are a real indicator of that, in addition to their outdated mechanicals (for that point in time). 

My experience with true MGs is limited to an MGB I owned for a while, long ago, and the matching Midget that my wife (now ex) drove. But, I spent a lot of time hanging out with British/MG afficiendos, repair shops, and mechanics — owning two MGs at one time, using both for daily drivers, tends to do that…  Tongue ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page. ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

KentT2013-03-26 10:28:43

Royal
    Participant

@royal

I have heard the TF described as a TD with a facelift.  I would add that it was a very poor facelift,  In my opinion, the boxy, upright and stodgy TC was most handsome.  I really loved the 19″ wheels.  But they were weak and totally unsuitable for today’s radial ply tires and I found an excellent example of a TC to be quite twitchy on the road.  The TD was slightly wider and had better suspension.  Having owned a TF-1500 for so many years, I can say that there were no noticeable improvements over the TD…..and I hated those octagonal center mounted gauges. 

I agree that the Mark II TD was the creme de la creme of the crop of the later T series.  (Pls forgive the use of a French expression to describe a thoroughly British automobile.)
    DonsMG
    Participant

@donsmg

I am embarrased Embarrassed to admit that I just found “The Red Car” book that was circulated last spring. I had signed and dated it in April and remember intending to take it to Carlisle hoping to pass it along. Never Happened. 🙁 

Anyone that wants to read it should send me a PM with your address and I will happily get it back in circulation.

Don Loveless
    Ford Pinto Fiberfab
    Rochester, MI

DonsMG
    Participant

@donsmg

I will be sending the book (The Red Car) to Kent since he was first to request.

Kent, be sure to sign and date the book before sending it on. Enjoy!

Don Loveless
    Ford Pinto Fiberfab
    Rochester, MI

Dale Schumacher
    Participant

@schu

Kent,
    Put me in line next if possible.
    Thanks

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Will do… I read it in junior high long ago, and wanted another go!

KentT2014-01-13 16:55:32

KentT
    Participant

@kentt

Now enroute to Schu.  Thanks, Don.  It was fun reliving that read — though somehow it wasn’t quite as fascinating and motivating as when I read it originally about 50 years ago… 

Dick
    Participant

@dickh

This is so cool. What a great group!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.