Wire wheels

Home Forums MGTD Kit Cars VW Based Kits Wire wheels

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bill Pollard
    Participant

@mr-bill

Good evening,

Is there a source for wire wheels that will fit the four bolt 1973 V.W. chassis?

Thanks,

Mr. Bill

Keith True
    Participant

@keith-true

Yes there is,I can”t think of the name of the place right now.But,they advertise in Hemmings motor news.You may think twice about it though after you get a price.They were around $1100.each when the former owner of one of my cars priced them.I do remember that the price difference between chrome and painted was not that much.A local man took some old MG knock off spindles(they are stubs)and adapted them to some VW brake drums many years ago.He was a machinest and it was not a job a shop would want to touch.They did look neat on his old VW but they stuck out the sides quite a little bit.I will have to ask him what became of that car,it may be in his back yard.

Keith True
    Participant

@keith-true

I just thought of something else,go onto the Samba website and ask around.Those boys have done about everything possible.There is a lot of VW knowledge over there.

Paul Mossberg
    Keymaster

@pmossberg

Dayton wire wheels might still have them. twenty years ago they had a 52 spoke wire wheen for the VW four bolt pattern.

http://www.daytonwirewheels.com/

Why 52 spoke? That’s how many the TD optional wire wheel had.

Paul Mossberg
    Former Owner of a 1981 Classic Roadsters Ltd. Duchess (VW)
    2005 Intermeccanica Roadster

If you own a TDr and are not in the Registry, please go to https://tdreplica.com/forums/topic/mg-td-replica-registry/ and register (you need to copy and paste the link)

Keith True
    Participant

@keith-true

That is the place I was thinking of. It looks as you can get one of their standard 70 spoke wheels in any bolt circle you want for around $550.each.That is for a 6 inch rim.I was told add about $100.for a narrower rim,as it is not a stock predrilled item.The 54 spoke wheels are no longer in stock,but I was also told they would make anything I wanted.Just add money.It does not seem so foolish when you see kids putting $4000.worth of wheels and $5000.worth of stereo into a $500.car.

Bill Pollard
    Participant

@mr-bill

Thanks for the information. I am not willing to go that type of price range at this time. I think I’ll have the stock wheels sand blasted and repainted. Then the wire hub caps will look better.

I have been able to locate 2 two bar spinners that mount with a center 5/16″ bolt. I would like to find 2 more of them if anyone has a source. A local place has the two bar spinner but they mount with a collar and three set screws.

Thanks Mr. Bill

Keith True
    Participant

@keith-true

I just use VW hubcaps and old Ford trim rings.Looks old.I have a pic of one of my cars like that but it is too big for me to post on this site.If I knew what I was doind I could shrink it down.

Bill Pollard
    Participant

@mr-bill

This is something that I have learned, the original M.G. did not come with wire wheels from the factory. Owners requested them but it was not offered.

They had steel painted wheels with a small hub cap.

For now I will stick with my wire hub caps and keep looking for two more 2 bar spinners around swap meets.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Wire wheels’ is closed to new replies.